Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Now that I am back in the swing of things, I decided to do a bit of baking today. On the menu today was old fashioned scones with strawberry jam and vanilla cream. Rather happy with how they turned out and even the hubby scored them a 10 out of 10, so can't argue with that! :) My batch made 14 plus a little ball of scone (yum!) & only 8 survived tea time!
Here is the recipe I used to make my scones (feel free to use it, if you need a quick reference).
3 cups self-raising flour
1/4 teaspoons salt
4-5 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 200C
2. Sift flour & salt into a bowl.
3. Rub in Butter with tips of fingers until mixture is a fine soft crumble.
4. Make a well in the centre of bowl & stir in milk with a knife to form a soft dough.
5. Turn onto a floured surface & knead lightly.
6. Pat dough gently to a 2cm thickness & cut out with a floured scone cutter (or floured rim of drinking glass, works just as well).
7. Place on a ungreased scone tray & brush scones lightly with milk.
8. Bake at 200C for 15-20 min
9. Turn out into a tea towel lined dish & cover & wrap with another tea towel.
10. Leave for 5 mins or until cold.
11. Serve with jam & cream or butter if preferred.
If you like your scones to rise higher, you can add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the recipe.
Place your scones on to the tray next to each other, so that they can use each other to rise.
In the next couple of days I will have some new products to share with everyone. Currently working through orders and then making up new stock for my first 2011 market (details to be announced). Don't forget to share your masterpiece with us by hanging it on the Earthly facebook wall:
Let me know if you or your little ones enjoyed the colouring in & I will put up another :)
Bec ~The Earthly Creative